LAVA supports the priniciples of openness and transparency set out in the Concordat, and although we as an organisation do not commission or conduct animal research ourselves, we are committed to promoting and upholding the four commitments of the Concordat so far as we are able. We encourage our members as individuals and the organisations for which they work to be open about their work, and to take opportunities to engage with the public about the use of animals in research.
The Concordat Commitments are:Commitment 1:
- We will be clear about when, how and why we use animals in research.Commitment 2:
- We will enhance our communications with the media and the public about our research using animals.Commitment 3:
- We will be proactive in providing opportunities for the public to find out about research using animals.Commitment 4:
- We will report on progress annually and share our experiences.
Some of the activities that LAVA undertakes directly to improve openness and transparency include:
- Operating the LAVA EMS Scheme
- Running "Road Shows" for undergraduates at UK veterinary schools interested in a career in laboratory animal medicine
- Being a subject matter expert on the use of animals in research to the BVA Welfare Group
- Being a member of the Boyd Group